This section provides an overview for high power leds as well as their applications and principles. Also, please take a look at the list of 9 high power led manufacturers and their company rankings.
Table of Contents
A high power LED is an LED with high power output, which stands for "light-emitting diode." Because of its high luminous efficiency, it is now a mainstream component in lighting fixtures.
A high power LED consists of multiple LED elements in parallel. While they require a large current to drive, they have high luminance. Compared to general LEDs, high power LEDs have the same built-in parts and other components, but their main feature is that they have a heat-dissipating structure.
High power LEDs are mostly used for lighting and indicator lamps. Typical applications are as follows:
As shown above, they are used in a wide range of applications, from industrial to consumer products. High power LEDs are indispensable in our daily lives.
LEDs are diodes with a structure consisting of P-type and N-type semiconductors joined together. When current is applied to the diode, the junction surface emits light, hence the name light-emitting diode. High power LEDs have high power output by connecting multiple LEDs in parallel.
Power LEDs require a large current to maintain high luminance and generate a large amount of heat. Generally, the efficiency of LEDs is said to be about 30%, and the remaining 70% is released as heat. Therefore, LEDs are designed so that they can be cooled to below their heat-resistant temperature.
Cooling structures are designed by mounting on heat-dissipating boards or using heat sinks. The heat sinks are designed to dissipate heat by using a star-shaped heat sink.
The difference between high power LEDs and ordinary LEDs is in the output power. Although there is no strict rule, generally, LEDs with an output power of 1W or more are called power LEDs. The built-in LED chips are the same. However, high power LEDs must have a heat dissipation structure to prevent heat generation.
If a simple current-limiting resistor is used to drive the high power LEDs, the power consumption increases and the amount of heat generated increases. Since heat generation reduces the luminous efficiency of the LEDs, resulting in dimming of the LEDs according to the lighting time, it is recommended to use a constant-current circuit to drive the high power LEDs.
For example, an FET and an operational amplifier can be used. By building a circuit using these two, constant-current light emission is possible. Heat dissipation design is also important. Since heat is easily transferred to the board side, the heat dissipation design of the board is an essential point for stable driving of high power LEDs.
LEDs come in a variety of shapes. The following three are typical shapes.
*Including some distributors, etc.
Sort by Features
Sort by Area
Number of Employees
Newly Established Company
Company with a History
This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country, please select the appropriate version of Metoree for your country in the drop-down menu.